10 Ash’s Lane, Trinity, NL
Captain Richard Ash Sr. , Master Mariner, bought the property from Thomas Dampier, a Trinity Merchant in 1831.
Rev. Bullock was a Trinity missionary at the time and married the daughter of John Clinch. Bullock wrote the hymn, “We Love the Place O God” for the opening of the new Church in Trinity. Bullock mapped the entire town of Trinity in 1835, showing locations of all structures and that map suggests that the Ash property was vacant. So, if Dampier had a house on the property, and it is thought that he did, it would have been removed to make way for construction of the current house on the land.
A heritage inventory of the Bonavista Peninsula in 1995 was undertaken and the report on this house suggests: “Construction 1830’s, at least 1836 (paper on wall)”. In the absence of any additional verification, one can assume that the house dates from the 1830’s. The architectural style with steep hip roof would be consistent with that period.
The house has seen some renovations since it was built. The front interior staircase was moved. There was a sun porch added about 1910. The chimney top was removed in about 1980 but can be reconstructed and connected with what remains in the attic and it is suggested that a new buyer re-establish this pivotal architectural feature of function and form.
The frame is said to be of mortice and tenon construction which suggests that this is a “full studded” house, similar to many other houses in Trinity.
The house originally had an open fireplace on the main level with iron pot rod and dog irons. The open fireplace has been closed in and fitted with a smaller fireplace inside.
After Richard Ash Sr, passed away, the house was taken over by his son, Richard Ash who was a successful sea captain and owned considerable property in St. John’s.
In 1937, the property was purchased by Samuel Hefferton and he sold the property to Merchant E.J. Ryan in 1941 and the McGrath family acquired the property from the Ryans.
The lot is substantial with over 145 ft frontage and with over 1/3 acre in area. With the house situated to the left of the land, there is the potential for an additional building lot.
The property is complemented with a garage and garden shed. Depending on the date of the sale, the estate may wish to have use of the garage for a reasonable period of time after closing date.
The house has four bedrooms with two fireplaces on that level.
The main level is quite spacious with over 1000 square feet. The living room with fireplace is about 16 by 12. The kitchen measures about 8.5 by 13.5 with adjacent eating area 11.5 by 13.5.
There is a large back porch measuring 18 by 5.5 with adjoining pantry measuring 9.5 by 5.5.
The main floor is also complemented by a large den with fireplace measuring 10 by 10.5 and a sunroom measuring 6 by 28.
This house will need some restoration and updating but it has “very good bones” with most of it’s original architectural attributes in place.
Asking price for this architectural gem on a large property is $299,000
For an appointment to view, please call Chris O’Dea at 685-6559 (area code 709)